Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Vocabulary / travel and food

<< Forum Professeurs || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Vocabulary / travel and food
Message de emilyjones posté le 25-05-2010 à 18:02:01 (S | E | F)

Hello!

I'm a private tutor and I'm supposed to do a lesson on travel vocabulary next week. My student wants to be able to order food and drinks in coffee shops and restaurants. She also needs help with airport vocabulary and basic stuff like asking questions to the main desk employee and reading the flight monitor.
I don't travel much and I don't feel like I could teach that kind of vocabulary without doing some research before the class.
I thought that I would try my luck here since you guys are all really good at English

* Starbucks / coffee shops
- the different types of coffee that are available (white, black, etc) and how to order and pay
- extras you can ask for like cream and how to formulate the question
- the tipping issue

* restaurants
- how to book a table
- useful phrases to use while having dinner for example (how to ask for a refill, what to do when you're having problems with the person who's waiting on you)
- tipping, asking for the check

* hotels
I would really appreciate it if someone could list the different types of rooms you can book in an American hotel and the extras you can ask for like wireless internet access.

* airports
This is a tough one. I need vocabulary that would be useful to my student while she is on the plane (carry-on, tray, etc) but I'll also have to teach her how to ask questions at the airport.
I especially need help with technical information that she'd have to use while passing thru the security checks.
I have to make sure that she won't miss her flight, but I have trouble reading the flight schedule myself, so help in that department would really be appreciated

* taxis
- how to hail a taxi (in the US and South Africa)
- basic things you can say to the driver
- giving directions and explaining how to get to a building
- giving an address

P.S.: please include brand names when you can, it would help me make my lesson more realistic.
I hope someone will be able to help me!

Thanks for reading my message

-------------------
Modifié par emilyjones le 25-05-2010 18:02

-------------------
Modifié par emilyjones le 25-05-2010 18:03

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 25-05-2010 18:21
titre + forum

Réponse: Vocabulary / travel and food de intrepid34, postée le 25-05-2010 à 18:12:09 (S | E)
Hello Emily Jones!

Personally I like "Going Places" MacMillan/Heineman. There are various levels and they are centred around work and travel vocabulary for adults. I used these books many moons ago with a tourism class and they went down a treat!!

There are other books available on the market. Why don't you look in Google or whatever search engine you use. Living in Paris, I would imagine that you have access to a wide range of books that relate to touristy things.

Good luck.
Regard
Intrepid

Réponse: Vocabulary / travel and food de emilyjones, postée le 25-05-2010 à 18:18:13 (S | E)
Thanks for your answer intrepid
Looks like the book you suggested is out of print tho...
Ah well, it's just my luck. I'll have to do some more research.

Réponse: Vocabulary / travel and food de lucile83, postée le 25-05-2010 à 18:18:36 (S | E)
Hello,

There are some resources here on the site:

Lien Internet
_

Best wishes.

Réponse: Vocabulary / travel and food de emilyjones, postée le 25-05-2010 à 18:31:18 (S | E)
Thanks a lot lucile
Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a good lesson plan!

Réponse: Vocabulary / travel and food de gerondif, postée le 25-05-2010 à 19:19:19 (S | E)
Hello, emilyjones,

I have updated my English thanks to you !
When I read, "Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a good lesson plan!" I started remembering what I had been taught:
You should say: the dog was looking hopefully at the bone.
You should say: Let's hope I'll be able to come up with a good lesson plan.
Do not use "hopefully" instead of "I hope that, let's hope that...."

BUT a double-click shows that "hopefully" can be understood as "avec un peu de chance", so I can now use it without qualms of conscience !

Réponse: Vocabulary / travel and food de lamy, postée le 25-05-2010 à 23:15:07 (S | E)
Hello

What about this:
Survival English (travel) Lien Internet

and Survival English (food) Lien Internet

Maybe you should start a collection of course books as well.

Regards

Réponse: Vocabulary / travel and food de emilyjones, postée le 26-05-2010 à 21:23:31 (S | E)
Thank you so much lamy! The links you gave me are really interesting!

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< Forum Professeurs

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux |